A serious summer salad. Served cold for those hot nights.
- 2 or 3qt saucepan with lid
- chef knife
- lg. bowl
- pint container or cruet
- spatula or lg. spoon
- 2 cups couscous (dry)
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 T olive oil
- taste ground white pepper and kosher salt
- 1 tsp garlic - minced
- 2 ea red bell peppers - seeded - med. dice
- 1 lg ea red onion - med dice
- 1 lg ea cucumber - seeded - med. dice
- 8 oz feta cheese - firm - med. dice
- 8 oz hard salami - med. dice (optional)
- 1/3 bunch fresh mint - no stems - chopped
- 3 oz red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp prepared fine mustard
- 1/3 tsp thyme - fresh or dried - fine chop
- 1 oz lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp white pepper - finely ground
- 6 oz olive oil - light or regular
- Add garlic, oil, and a little salt and pepper to the stock and btb.
- When the liquid has reached a boil, turn off the heat, add the couscous, stir once, and cover for 4-5 min
- Uncover and fluff with a fork, Transfer to a large bowl and refrigerate until cool.
- Add all ingredients to the cooled couscous, folding in with a spatula or large spoon for even distribution.
- Add all ingredients except the oil and shake to blend thoroughly.
- Add the oil a little at a time, shaking or whisking as you go to blend in and emulsify.
- Pour over the salad, and mix in thoroughly with a spatula or large spoon.
- Serve and enjoy!
This can be made a day ahead without the dressing. Simply fluff with a fork, dress, and serve!